PM News: New Tech Center And Manufacturing Facility Opens

On February 27, Emuge Corporation moved to its new North American headquarters in West Boylston, Massachusetts. The 21,000-square-foot facility, custom designed and built in 2005, includes a technology center featuring a new Hermle five-axis machining center and an adjoining classroom/auditorium.

New Tech Center And Manufacturing Facility Opens
On February 27, Emuge Corporation moved to its new North American headquarters in West Boylston, Massachusetts. The 21,000-square-foot facility, custom designed and built in 2005, includes a technology center featuring a new Hermle five-axis machining center and an adjoining classroom/auditorium. The facility will also stock the line of Emuge products and house production manufacturing, engineering and application support, in addition to administrative and executive offices. The building sits on a ten acre piece of land owned by Emuge and is laid out with future manufacturing expansion in mind. The new facility will help the company continue to enhance its customer support in the North American marketplace and comes at a time when the company is experiencing steady growth and expansion. Visit Emuge's PM Online Showroom.

The Mahr Group (Providence, Rhode Island) acquired the business of Helios Messtechnik (Dörzback, Germany) on April 1. With the acquisition of Helios, the Mahr Group enhances its existing product range in horizontal length measurement with the brands SIP and Helios, as well as in the field of optical and tactile shaft measurement with the brands Helio-Pan and Helio-Scope. The acquisition provides a further opportunity to extend its product range among new and existing customers in the field of shaft measurement. Visit Mahr Federal Inc.'s PM Online Showroom.

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and Iscar, Ltd. announced that Berkshire Hathaway has agreed to acquire 80 percent of the Iscar Metalworking Companies (IMC) in a transaction that values IMC at $5 billion. The Wertheimer family, IMC’s current shareholders, will own the remaining 20 percent. “We are delighted to partner with the Wertheimer family and IMC’s current management, led by Eitan Wertheimer and Jacob Harpaz,” says Warren Buffet, Berkshire Hathaway’s chairman and CEO. IMC will remain headquartered in Tefen, Israel, and its worldwide business operations will continue as usual. Contact Berkshire Hathaway at (402) 346-1400.

The Association For Manufacturing Technology (AMT) has entered into a co-marketing partnership with the National Institute for Metalworking Skills (NIMS). NIMS will assume management of the Student Summit at IMTS—the International Manufacturing Technology Show. The Student Summit promotes career opportunities in manufacturing technology and provides hands-on learning at IMTS.

In 2004, the Student Summit drew more than 6,000 students and educators from high schools, vocational and technical schools, apprenticeship trainings and higher learning institutions from all over the United States. Visit AMT's PM Online Showroom.

The Earle M. Jorgensen Company (Lynwood, California) announced the opening of its new metals processing and distribution facility in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. The 20,000-square-foot facility will hold an extensive inventory of bar and tube stock and cutting equipment on site and will enable the company to offer daily product deliveries and enhanced service to customers in the Quebec City region. The company also operates a facility in Montreal, Quebec. Visit Earle M. Jorgensen Company's PM Online Showroom.

Balzers, Inc. (Elgin, Illinois) will take over the PVD coating operations of Gold Star Coatings, a subsidiary of the industrial tooling group, Star Cutter Company (Farmington, Michigan). Balzers will assume the function of coating partner for the tool resharpening service centers operated by Star and SU and sold through Star SU and the United States, Canada and Mexico. In addition, Balzers will open an in-house coating center in the gear tool manufacturing operation of Star Cutter Company in East Tawas, Michigan. Visit Balzers' PM Online Showroom.

The Machine Tool Advisory Council at East Leyden High School (Franklin Park, Illinois) received a donation from Buhrke Industries to support the school’s metalworking skills training program. Buhrke Industries chose to donate $1,500 after that amount was awarded to the company from The Precision Metalworking Association as an Award of Excellence.